RediMed is committed to ensuring the privacy and confidentiality of personal information.
The information in this policy is to outline how RediMed Pty Ltd will comply with what is required of the Company in regards to the Privacy Act 1988.
Our Commitment to Your Privacy
We understand the importance of protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your health information that we collect from you and are committed to protecting this information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
This policy is to provide information to you, our patient, on how your personal information (which includes your health information) is collected and used within our practice, and the circumstances in which we may share it with third parties.
We may make changes to the way your personal information is collected and the handled. If we do so, we will update this policy to reflect any changes. This policy will be available on our website and will also be made available to you at reception or a copy can be emailed to you on request.
Your Consent is Required
When you register as a client of RediMed, you provide your consent to our staff to access and use your personal information so that the best possible healthcare can be provided to you. This may include and is not necessarily limited to:
- opening a medical file, provide medical treatment and record notes for the purpose of your medical treatment as a patient of RediMed;
- obtaining your consent to release your medical records to your employer, third party or another treating medical provider in the management of your care;
- providing medical and allied health treatment to you or refer you for medical treatment when medically required;
- assisting in your return to work following a work related or non-work-related injury;
- providing a total health solution for you and your family;
- helping improve our services;
- managing and resolving complaints made;
- using your health information for quality assurance, research and professional development;
- reporting information required by law or regulations;
- confirming your identification through Australian government endorsed documents; and
- performing any other appropriate related functions.
RediMed’s predominant purpose in collecting, using, holding and sharing your personal information is to provide you with comprehensive healthcare service and to manage your health.
The minimum personal and health information we will collect include:
- name, date of birth, address and contact details ;
- medical information including medical history, medications, allergies, adverse events, immunisations, social history, family history and risk factors;
- Medicare number (where available) for identification and claiming purposes;
- healthcare identifiers; and
- health fund details.
The personal information we collect may be in the form of:
- a paper record;
- an electronic record;
- visual mediums such as x-rays, CT scans, videos or photos; or
- audio recordings.
How Your Information is Collected
RediMed may collect your personal information in several different ways.
- When you make your first appointment and your personal information is collected via your registration.
- During the course of RediMed providing its services and further personal information is collected. [Information can also be collected through electronic transfer of prescriptions (eTP), My Health Record, eg via Shared Health Summary, Event Summary]
- Information may be collected when you visit RediMed’s website or when you send us an email or text message, telephone us, make an online enquiry or appointment or communicate with us using social media.
- At times, your personal information may be collected from other sources when it is not practical or reasonable to collect from you directly. This may include collection from, but not limited to:
- Your guardian or responsible person;
- Healthcare providers that may have treated you previously, including but not limited to specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, community health services and pathology and diagnostic imaging services; and
- your health fund, Medicare or the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (as necessary).
You have the right to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to do so or unless we are required or authorised by law to only deal with identified individuals.
Disclosure and Use of Your Information
Your personal information may be shared:
- with other healthcare providers;
- when required or authorised by the law (for example, court subpoenas or legal obligations to notify of some diseases);
- when necessary to lessen or to prevent a serious threat to a your life, health or safety or public health or safety, or if it is impractical to obtain the your consent;
- to establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim;
- for the purpose of a confidential dispute resolution process;
- during the course of providing medical services, through eTP, My Health Record.
We will take such steps as is appropriate to ensure that your personal information is only accessed by personnel who are required to do so. Your additional consent is required if we use your personal information for any other purpose or if shared with a third party that is not described above.
We will take such steps as is appropriate to store your personal information securely, either on site in secure cabinets or off/on site secured computer systems only accessible by authorised staff.
Records are retained for 7 years after the last encounter and in the case of children, until they attain the age of 25.
RediMed is compliant with the Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme, ensuring better protection over your personal information and greater transparency in the way RediMed will respond in the event of a data breach.
Access to and Amending Your Information
You are entitled to request access, as well as to amend, your personal information.
RediMed requires you to put this request in writing, to the address provided below. RediMed will endeavour to respond to the request within 30 days.
RediMed will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate. On occasion, you may be asked to verify the information held by RediMed is correct and current.
RediMed takes any concerns that you may have regarding your private information very seriously.
In the event that you have a concern about your private information, please write to us at our contact details below. We will attempt to resolve any concerns within 30 days.
If you are not satisfied with an outcome following the above process, you may wish to speak to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. More information about privacy law and privacy principles is available from the OAIC and from their website. The OAIC may be contacted using their contact details set out here
Ph: 08 9230 0900
Fax: 08 9230 0999