In the unfortunate case that you’ve been injured while working (it can happen even to the best of us) there will often be physiotherapy prescribed to help get the process to recovery started.
Depending on the severity of the injury, healing could be weeks or months and in some cases even years. This news alone can be daunting for many of us.
The good news is with patience and dedication; your physiotherapy sessions can help you to heal your injuries safely and effectively without medical intervention.
If you’ve never been to a physiotherapist before, this article will highlight some key points to help you feel confident, knowledgeable and ensure you to get the most out of your appointment.
What is physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is the treatment of an injury using physical techniques such as massage, heat treatment, and exercise. These methods are non-invasive and are specifically used as alternatives to surgery or medicine.
Physiotherapy can help you to avoid surgery, reduce medication, manage pain and help prevent future risk of injury. Physiotherapy helps repair damage, reduce stiffness and pain, increases mobility and improves quality of life.
Who can perform physiotherapy?
A physiotherapist is a highly qualified health professional who works in partnership with patients to help improve their health.
A physiotherapist uses advanced techniques and evidence-based care, when assessing, diagnosing, treating and preventing a wide range of health conditions and movement disorders.
Did you know that GPs refer more patients to physiotherapists than any other healthcare profession?
Your physiotherapists will work closely with your GP to plan and manage effective treatment.
What to expect during your physiotherapy appointment?
A typical session with a physiotherapist is uniquely tailored to your needs and personal health condition.
A session may involve one or more of the following:
- Assessing and diagnosing your current condition
- Working with you to create and achieve specific goals
- Developing a treatment or prevention plan
- Determining detailed exercise and physical aids to help you reach your goals
5 ways to get the most out of your physiotherapy appointment
- Indicate your ultimate goals with the physiotherapist
- Ask lots of questions (be sure you understand the nature of your injury)
- Be realistic about the length of time it will take to heal
- Be kind to yourself, and maintain a positive outlook on recovery
- Commit yourself to the routine and exercise prescribed
Ultimately, you hold the key to your personal recovery and long-term wellbeing. Working closely with your physiotherapist along with a combination of dedication and a positive attitude will help you reach your recovery goals in no time at all.
Here at REDIMED we offer a range of healing treatments through our Physiotherapy services. Some of the areas we specialise in are:
- Program coordination and activity modification
- Manual therapy including; joint mobilisation and manipulations; soft tissue massage; neural mobilisation techniques
- Dry needling
- Sports and Kinesiology taping
- Ultrasound and TENS
- Injury specific exercise programs
- Pilates and Clinical Pilates
- Pre and post surgical rehabilitation
- Hydrotherapy and gym-based exercise programs
- Ergonomic assessments
If you would like to enquire about our physio services, please feel free to contact a member of the REDIMED team here.